M.A. English, M.A. Teaching
Salem State University, Salem, MA
GPA of 4.0
Thesis: "Facing Trauma Through Art: Arab Women’s War Narratives"
Advisor: Stephenie Young
B.S. Chemical Engineering, minor in Business Administration
University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH
GPA of 3.65
Honors Thesis: "Semi-Batch Nanofiltration of Bio-Oil"
Advisor: Ihab H. Farag
Preliminary License, English (8-12), Massachusetts Office of Educator Licensure
Fall 2016-Current High School English Teacher
Lexington Christian Academy, Lexington, MA
Teach one section of Grade 9 Literature and Language and three sections of Grade 10 World Literature; plan and implement lesson plans for all classes, working closely with LCA's special education department when necessary
Spring 2016 Student Teacher
Newburyport High School, Newburyport, MA
Taught two sections of Grade 12 CP English, one section of Grade 12 Honors English, and two sections of Grade 10 CP English; collaboratively and independently planned lessons for all classes; differentiated and modified lessons in order to make them accessible for students on IEPs and 504s; assumed responsibility for grading of all senior classes
2014-2015 Building-Based Educator
Humanities and Leadership Development High School, Lawrence, MA
Tutored and substituted core academic classes for grades 9 through 12; co-led community and social support groups for students; implemented lesson plans left by classroom teachers; provided additional academic and management support in the classroom; ran workshops on homework skills, college essay-writing, and anxiety management; and worked one-on-one with students struggling academically
Fall 2014 Observing Graduate Student
Revere Public High School, Revere, MA
Designed and led a Grade 10 CP lesson on Shakespeare’s Macbeth; assisted in engaging students in ongoing lessons; worked with small groups of students to encourage discussion and aid comprehension
- 2016 - Current Coordinator for Seacoast Resettle Together Refugee Outreach
BeFree Community Church, Dover, NH
Organize and coordinate an network of over 100 volunteers including organizations, companies, and individuals in order to meet needs expressed by the International Institute of New England's refugee resettlement branch in Manchester, NH; oversee donations, event coordination, newsletter composition and distribution, volunteer efforts, and press relations
2014-2015 Horseback Riding Instructor
Peverly Hill Stables, Portsmouth, NH
Conducted private and group lessons for beginning to intermediate riders in classical dressage and hunt seat equitation
August 2014 Volunteer Teacher Trainer
New Theological College Primary Schools, Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India
Traveled with a team of teachers of record to present professional development workshops for Dehradun elementary school teachers on interdisciplinary lesson planning, multiple intelligences, differentiated learning, and alternative assessment style
2013-2014 High School Youth Leader
Our Savior Lutheran Church, Topsfield, MA
Designed lessons and facilitated discussions for topical Bible studies with groups of high school students, met regularly with individual students to discuss their goals and lives, coordinated and led large group meetings
2017 "Transmodality in Action: A Manifesto." Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy (with Kate Artz and Anne Mooney).
2016 "Navigating the Soundscape, Composing with Audio." Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy (with Tanya Rodrigue, Kate Artz, Julia Bennett, M.P. Carver, Megan Grandmont, Anne Mooney, Michael Rand, Amy Zimmerman).
- 2016 "6 Reasons to Try a Single-Point Rubric." Edutopia. October 2017.
- 2017 "Teaching Composition Using Transcripts." Literacy & NCTE: The official blog of the National Council of Teachers of English (with Kate Artz and Anne Mooney). October 2017.
- 2017 "More Than a Grade: Cultivating Intellectual Play in Students." Literacy & NCTE: The official blog of the National Council of Teachers of English. September 2017.
- 2016 "Let's Teach, Not Police: Expanding Our Understanding of Plagiarism in Efforts to Combat it" Write to Learn, Learn to Write. Salem State University, May 2016.
2015 "Teaching Writing in the 21st Century Classroom" Write to Learn, Learn to Write. Salem State University, December 2015
- Making Audio Accessible: Teaching Transcription as Composition. Presented with Kate Arts and Anne Mooney at NCTE's New England Summer Conference on College Composition & Communication: Sharing Best Practices at Boston University. May 24-25, 2017.
Using the Digital Writer/Reader Relationship to Teach Writing as a Social Act. Re-presented at Writing Vertically: Salem State University Writing Pedagogy Conference. May 14, 2015.
Using the Digital Writer/Reader Relationship to Teach Writing as a Social Act. Engaging Practices: A UMass Boston Conference on the Teaching of Composition. March 28, 2015.
- Semi-Batch Nanofiltration of Bio-Oil. UNH Undergraduate Research Conference (URC). April 12-24, 2010.
Biodiesel Process and Control. American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) 2008 Annual Meeting: Fuels and Petrochemicals Division. November 19, 2008.
Tales of a Webtext with 10 Authors: Pedagogical Affordances of Digital Collaboration Tools. Conference on College Composition and Communication (CCCC). April 6-9, 2016.
Semi-Batch Nanofiltration of Bio-Oil. UNH Undergraduate Research Conference (URC). April 15-25, 2009.
- Exploring Transmodality through the Writing of Transcripts for Audio Compositions. Guest Speaker for Salem State University's graduate Digital Writing class. April 27, 2016.
- Using Digital Writing Activities in the Classroom. A Salem State University Writing Intensive Curriculum Program Brown Bag Lunch Event. February 17, 2016.
- Contemporary Scheherazades: Arab Women Narrate Their War Stories. A Salem State University Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies Research Conversation. December 3, 2015.
- Writing a Thesis in the Digital Age. A Salem State University English Department Writing Workshop Panel. November 5, 2015.
- 2015-2016 Graduate Assistant
Writing Intensive Curriculum (WIC) Program, Salem State University, Salem, MA
Facilitated and led writing pedagogy events for faculty and graduate students throughout the academic year; gathered and compiled research on various topics relating to the teaching of writing including plagiarism, feedback on student papers, digital and multimodal writing, and assessment methods; assembled and edited the biannual WIC newsletter; helped organize and facilitate Salem State University's annual Writing Vertically conference on writing pedagogy
2006-2010 Undergraduate Research Fellow
University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH
Coordinate with the engineering department’s Ihab Farag, Ph.D., and Compact Membrane Systems, Inc. (CMS) to design, conduct, and report research on the filtration of bio-oil through proprietary CMS membranes
Grants & Fellowships:
- 2016 Professional Development Grant, Salem State University
Honors & Awards:
- 2016 Salem State University School of Graduate Studies Distinguished Service Award for Scholarship
- 2011 Graduated College of Engineering and Physical Sciences magna cum laude
- 2010 Shuttlesworth Scholarship for Academic Achievement
- 2009 Chemical Engineering Achievement Award
- 2007 Certificate of Achievement in US EPA Region 1's P2 Community Energy Benchmark Challenge
- 2006-2010 UNH's Presidential Scholarship
- 2006-2011 Dean's List High Honors
- English - native
- Spanish - proficient
- Arabic - conversational
- 2015-present National Council of Teachers of English
- 2015-present Pi Lambda Theta
- 2010-present Tau Beta Pi